News and Events

Keep up to date with Steve Nurse's designs and 3d printing.

Wednesday 10 August 2022

A Few faves

 Hi

Recently I entered Design Fringe for the fourth or fifth time and went through the slightly complex process of entry, which included questions about my favourite designs and designers.  I didn't really think too hard and just put down a few of the first and most current things I'd thought of. So most of this post was mentioned in my Linden New Art Design Fringe Entry form, except for the pipe cutter, that is a ring-in, but I had discussed it with a colleague at work a few days ago.

PIPE CUTTER

About 15 years ago, I bought this in a market in Cabulture, Queensland, while on holiday and bought it back with me. Its lived in my shed ever since, and is the heaviest pipe cutter I have ever seen. Its from the 1960's / 1970's Australian Ford / Holden / Valiant school of engineering, ie strong, not much engineering, lots of weight. It works well but is possibly too heavy.

STICKY TAPE DISPENSER



This was found in a drawer in our house, and I have no idea where it originally came from, but its nice and simple, was made in Australia has nice symmetry and is different to every other tape dispenser I've seen.

BRIAN SADGROVE






Brian Sadgrove was a designer for Sun Books, and for a long time Sun Books' subjects and covers have appealed to me, especially covers by Brian Sadgrove. So I've bought a lot of Sun Books from op shops for not very much and will buy almost anything irrespective of quality. A few of Brian's covers from books I own are shown above. After handling these I ran away to some op shops and free book stalls to try to find more, without luck this time.

VI VUONG


 Vi has made many many bikes, and shares their designs on youtube. I've taken his design, the "Ilean trike" or simple leaning trike a bit further than he has. Vi has been a great inspiration.





No comments:

Post a Comment